Armband of Shame

Apparently the police in Thailand have come up with the perfect way to keep their police officers in line – threaten to make them wear a pink Hello Kitty armbands to discipline them for such things as being late for work, parking in prohibited areas, fighting, failing to report for duty and giving poor service:

Hello Kitty eco bag

This is apparently not a joke and is intended to shame police officers into doing a better job and from repeating offences. The department has 10 armbands available that will begin being used this week. Just to make things a bit worse, first-time offenders must accompany the officer rostered as deputy chief of the day which means wearing the armband to all the major offices within the Crime Suppression Division.

Living in Hello Kitty Hell and knowing what it feels like to walk around with Hello Kitty, I have a feeling that this project will either be a great success or the Thai government will be overthrown in protest – with the edge going toward a complete government overthrow.

Of course, my wife doesn’t see it quite the same way. “If all police officers wore Hello Kitty armbands, the public would love and respect them a lot more. The Hello Kitty armband should be a part of every police uniform…”

It seems that I won’t be the only person living in Hello Kitty Hell this week…

via Bangkok Post (better photo courtesy of Chris)

This entry was posted in Fashion, Hello Kitty. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Armband of Shame

1. Melissa says:

Wow, talk about extreme.

Sucks to be them.

2. Pingback: Hello Kitty armband to discipline police force | Asian Pop with YeinJee

3. Psychomike says:

First the armband, then a flag, next a Hello Kitty world…….

4. Siouxie says:

To me, I don’t think it will work unless it says “shame” or “reprimand” on there. Otherwise to the general population it could just look like they are supporting HK. Watch it increase the sales of HK…

However, on a side note…HK could very well be the ambassador to world peace. How? She has no mouth. If the White House, politicans in Dafur and Middle East all adhered to the standard of say no evil — we just might live in a HK world. Peace and harmony. Besides, if it wasn’t peace and harmony, no one could say anything to complain!!!!

5. Psychomike says:

A Hello Kitty world? With armband wearing police backing up a world where no one talks? Siouxie let’s leave it at the world simply isn’t ready for HK consciousness.

Utopia based on spending on a imaginary being. I guess religions have started with less……..

6. Me says:

Wow, those guys must read this blog.

7. Psychomike says:

My favorite blog. The writer is really good. I end up sending his observations to loads of friends.

8. rachel says:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!! i just read that article and came to your page to send you a link to it.. hip hip hooray!

9. Miss Kitty says:

I was sooo getting ready to email this to you. Ok personally, i would wear the arm band cause it’s pretty and hello kitty. This would sooooo not be a punishment for me. Bet your wife feels the same way.

Toodles and have a hello kitty day!!!!

10. dkwok says:

more picture on yahoo

11. sadie says:

LOL wow this is by far the best site i have seen in a long time!!

as much as i hate the fact that you dis hello kitty, i love seeing all of the hello kitty stuff and reading your hilarious commentary.

and your wife sounds like such a lovely lady, youre a lucky man to be living in hello kitty hell with her :]

ps- where can i find those hello kitty converse?? haha j/k!! but they are the most amazing shoes i have ever seen….

i want them almost as bad as i want the paris hilton hello kitty toy. thats right, im obsessed with hello kitty AND paris!! *evil laugh*

12. Amanda says:

A friend forwarded this to me, and I thought you immediately.

Creepy.

13. danielle says:

my uncle is a police officer and he would rather kill himself than wear a hello kitty arm band…poor guys!!

14. TeratoMarty says:

This may well backfire. Think about it. You have a cop who’s already been cautioned for fighting, insubordination or whatever. Some other cop, or worse, a suspect, sees this hothead’s HK armband and starts ragging him about it. The cop, his pride already smarting from the Hello Kitty humiliation, commits Hello Kitty homicide.

15. Pingback: hello kitty! « pop trash tart

16. Xenobiologista says:

Echo rachel =D

I think it’s a great idea. Nobody is going to take a policeman seriously with one of these on.
    “You don’t have to pay that speeding fine if you give me 1000 baht.”
    “What’cha going to use it for, Strawberry Pocky?”

Maybe for police who get caught taking bribes they should be forced to wear a Hello Kitty suit.

17. Carol says:

Hilarious!

18. Jam says:

What a joke this punishment is! I wonder what their other ideas were? I like Siouxie’s post :)

19. John says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Thai Government is overthrown again, although it’s the military that’s involved.

20. brien says:

I also can’t help noticing the Nazi armband similarity. So, I wrote a little Hello Kitty Nazi Anthem:

Hallo Katze über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt,
    wenn es stets zu Niedlichkeit
    Verkäufe zusammenhält.
    kaufen Sie sie nette Kleidung,
    und sie Schlafsack und sie zelt!
    Hallo Katze über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt.

21. Alfred says:

I agree with your wife!

22. Ariberry says:

Haha! I am a little late I guess but I saw it on the web today and was gonna email you. I guess I should have known that you already knew about it. lol

23. Pingback: Hello Kitty Armband of Shame Video: Hello Kitty Hell

24. Alias says:

Why do you say that Hello Kitty Hell is a good site. She has done nothing to you has she?

25. anonomyous says:

that is ok. but the hello kitty rubber duck was way better than this

(police wearing a HK armband)

talk about weird!!

26. bluntinstrument says:

I’d LOVE to have one of these armbands — and can’t find one available anywhere. I’m surprised. I’d love to wear one — and tell people why!!

27. Pingback: Hello Kitty Major League Baseball Punishment - Hello Kitty Hell