Hello Kitty Disposable Solar Cell Phone Charger

While there are many things that trouble me in Hello Kitty Hell, whenever it has to do with my wife’s Hello Kitty cell phone I have no other choice but cringe. That’s exactly what I did when she discovered the Hello Kitty disposable solar cell phone charger:

Hello Kitty solar phone charger

Hello Kitty disposable cell phone charger

This shows Hello Kitty in all her marketing wisdom. She has introduced this mini Hello Kitty solar cell phone charger that’s about the size of a lighter with claims of how eco friendly it is. Of course, the solar charger only lasts for about 500 recharges where upon it goes to the landfill (she seems to have left out this minor detail in the eco friendly equation which forces Hello Kitty fanatics to repurchase it time and again).

These points are of no concern to my wife. As long as she gets to squeal “kawaiiiii, kawaiiii” a few hundred times upon seeing it, it has served its purpose in her book. Of course, me having to listen to this again and again confirms that I most definitely am living in Hello Kitty Hell…

This entry was posted in Gadgets and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Hello Kitty Disposable Solar Cell Phone Charger

1. Rhianimator says:

This just illustrates the evil feline’s true intentions… World Domination.

2. mhkitty06 says:

Wow… I guess it’s useful, but only if you have the certain type of cellphone its made for right?
    Good idea in theory…

3. Kitteh!! says:

I’m going to guess that it wouldn’t work with my black Razr, and let’s face it, would look pretty pump with a satin black phone anyway.
    That said, it would be useful in principle, and 500 charges for me ~ 500 weeks, say 10 years. I can’t actually say it’s that eco-unfriendly unless it takes more power to make and dispose of it than to do 500 mains charges!

WTF is the point of a wrist lanyard on it though?

4. Binks says:

Marketing genius!
    …..and kinda cute too.

5. yet another anonymous says:

> the solar charger only lasts for about 500 recharges

Are you sure? It sounds too short for me.
    Solar panel lasts much longer.
    Well, they may purposely introduced a component that won’t last long so that people need to buy it again and again. How evil!

6. moriyah says:

Ok, if it’s eco friendly, then it wouldn’t be so easily disposable would it? The worst part is it’s made out of some plastic composite that most likely doesn’t give way to nature… those things will be around long after we’re gone.

Japan is one of the worst purveyors of planned obsolescence out there…. with America in close second.

7. Kitteh!! says:

Seriously (and I can’t believe I am actually defending Sanrio, even slightly) 500 recharges should be 5 to 10 years use if you let your phone battery go more or less flat before recharging every time.

8. Acton says:

Perfect for accessory for your Hello Kitty phone. Other than that nothing here to see move along.

9. Catherine says:

I like the “coy” expression on HK’s face. Like “Ooops..I’m saving the plante!”

10. Catherine says:

@Kitteh
    Can’t possibly be a wrist laniard. You would have to be 6ft tall and weigh 100 lbs….or missing a hand…..
    Perhaps it’s just to attach to your keys as an emergency back up?

11. Catherine says:

@Moriyah
    It’s not disposable….it has HK on it you must keep it forever! hahahaha

12. Lucy says:

@Catherine

I was going to say the same thing!

wow… useful, eco friendly and a collectible.

Im going to go “yay for sanrio” on this one… sorry everyone.

13. Sara Dane says:

I think the string is so you can attach it to your cell phone, you know like those little dangly charm things.. It’s a great idea, I’m sure there are others for different phones and without HK for people who don’t care for her…

14. Catherine says:

@Sara Dane
    Blasphemy! Someone not caring for HK… Bite your tongue.

15. mhkitty06 says:

So bascially if you attach it to your phone, everytime you answer said phone you smack yourself in the face with it!!!!
    Diabolical!!!!!

16. Catherine says:

Give it to someone you REALLY love!

17. Sara Dane says:

I wonder if this is the actual size of the charger or if it’s smaller?? I know Mr. HKH said lighter, but there are alot of those too.. If it is then it’s pretty much the same size as a phone lol… And now that I think about it wouldn’t you have to leave it out in the sun for a while to keep it charged? I guess it would be good for um camping?? :D

18. yet another anonymous says:

I found a posted video of the product on YouTube.

The video seemed answer my question of why only 500 recharges.
    The HK charger must have a battery inside and it is being charged all the time (as far as sun shine around it). 500 rechages limit must be due to the battery inside the charger. They should use newer technology battery, which lasts much longer (but more expensive).

19. Magic Smoothie says:

OGODS.

This makes me sad to be an eco freak. The evil kitten has made it impossible for me to boycott everything she stands for!

20. Jason says:

So is Hello Kitty flicking everyone off, picking her nose, or both?

21. jade says:

oh my word… sson hello kitty is going to take over the world… may as well just kill myself now

22. Kitteh!! says:

YAA, cheers for the info. Possibly some third party will come up with a way of opening the charger and replacing the battery, like has been done for I-pods?

Jason, maybe HK wants to suck her thumb, and can’t, because she has no mouth!? ;)

23. Sara Dane says:

Or Maybe she’s pointing at her nose to tell us that gobal warming stinks lol ;)

24. mandie says:

Hey that’s pretty useful, I hope they make one for the Sansa and iPod too, maybe a universal charger with a few different heads.
    And different HK designs of course…I’d totally buy a choco cat one even if it didn’t charge anything i own

It would be a lot more eco friendly if it lasted forever, like a watch battery.

26. m says:

I agree, nice try but then it goes to the landfill. Lame. I love how she’s hugging the planet. Is that plastic?

27. Puppy says:

its a disposable solar cell phone charger…. dispose of it… asap

28. Puppy says:

not meaning to double post but… i forgot to add at the end of the message… dispose the cell phone too

29. Cyn says:

The idea of a solar charger unit is a good one, but one you need to throw away after 500 use is a dumb idea. And I bet Sanrio’s idea is that since it’s disposable they will have special editions model coming pretty soon which will sadly prompt any Hk fanatic out there to purchase more solar chargers they can possibly use and heck since the toilet paper incident you mentionned I’m sure that some HK fanantic might not even want to use the charger in the first place, or as in your Stamp misadventure, never want to throw the god damn thing away once out and have a house full of those useless thing leaving poor guy like you shake their head and beg to be taken out of Hello Kitty Hell real fast.

30. kenichi340 says:

Wow, this blog just makes me laugh. What’s wrong with the Hello Kitty franchise? You could say the same thing about Pokemon and other major franchises that are reaching out to other things.

This whole blog is just stupid.

31. Kitteh!! says:

Ok Kenichi, produce genuine (not fan art) weblinks to Pokemon white goods or “adult” computers (not the maybe $100 kiddie toys).

32. mhkitty06 says:

Kitteh!!:
    Ignore the dumb newbie… apparently they have not seen the many useless and non ‘age-appropriate’ items that Sanrio or bootleg marketers have come up with for HK…
    I bet Pokemon isn’t nearly as bad…
    I mean how many of us have seen Pokemon Tampons and Condoms???
    “What’s wrong with the Hello Kitty franchise?” Indeed.

33. Kitteh!! says:

My “Pokethulhu” tee-shirt is about the closest to a “non-age appropriate” Pokemon item I can name, and it’s deliberate satire on Pokemon and the Cthulhu mythos that most under 10s won’t get, not something like, say, Pikachu snapping the elastic of a bikini model’s briefs (the HK equivalent does exist).
    In any event, I fully expect that talking to the newbie will be like talking to Darlene.

34. Catherine says:

I’m worried about Darlene…….

35. mhkitty06 says:

I’m really thinking she’s
    A) had a pshycotic episode and is locked in a hospital somewhere
    B) taken a new identity and is acting sane as someone else
    C) on a compond somewhere getting ready to drink the Coolade (sp) and wait for the HK mothership to pick her up!

36. Catherine says:

@mhkitty06
    i’m going for (C)
    I bet she is wearing the HK converse sneakers as we speak…..

37. sanriobaby says:

It’s a great idea in theory, but of course like what many have already said, it’s just another ploy to keep collectors wanting to buy more. I might be tempted to buy this if I came across it, but I don’t particularly like this “retro” image of HK.

38. mhkitty06 says:

@Catherine,
    I actually found a pair on Ebay that I bid on… I lost them since I didn’t want to pay $50 for them…

39. Melanie says:

Awww…hello kitty is earth friendly.

40. Tamichiko says:

A solar portable cell phone charger………..

Not such a bad idea

But one with Hello Kitty on it?

Now that’s just plain bulls**t!!!!!

41. Wireless Guy says:

I would be willing to bet these are low grade China imports and the chances of them lasting for a full 500 charges is pretty slim.

The good news is that people will save them in a drawer to add to their Hello Kitty collection so the landfills will actually benefit a bit

42. aguie says:

at least it’s useful though. the whole kitty thing is a bit of a put off, but it makes sense.

43. Bri says:

I have been reading this blog for three days. in the result i have barfed around five times, cryed 28 times, and fainted at the monstrosties twice. I feel extremely sorry for you HKH. Sanrio should be destroyed for even thinking of making Hello Kitty, let alone the products.

44. mickey millcah says:

Hello Kitty picks her nose and tells us “DON’T MAKE GLOBAL WARMING COME TODAY!!!!!”