Hello Kitty Cross

Sanrio, in its pursuit to make everything Hello Kitty, has decided to take on history and religion at the same time and wants you to believe that it was Hello Kitty, not Jesus, that died for all your sins:

Hello Kitty cross

Hello Kitty religious cross

Hello Kitty swing cross

The only thing that surprises me about this is that Hello Kitty took this long to try to make the claim.

Sent in by medlawcat who should have to worship Hello Kitty on a daily basis for thinking that sending me something like this could ever result in something good.

Update: Apparently the evil feline has to show that she is the main force behind religion with more than on cross necklace:

Hello Kitty cross necklace

Sent in by kristy

Hello Kitty cross

Sent in by Susan

This entry was posted in Fashion, Jewelry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Hello Kitty Cross

1. Sara Dane says:

@ Sanriobabay
    No worries.. I didn’t take anything you said as a personal jab.. I think your points are very valid.

I just thought in this situation that HK wasn’t being blasphemous, though to some it may look that way, I think people were wanting this silly little cross to be something it wasn’t indeed to.

2. The Boctor says:

Frankly, HK and religion are about on the same level of “who cares” for me.

It’s funny in a disrespectful sort of way.

3. Hello Kitty FREAK !! says:

OMG
    I love it :P

4. Rachel says:

Quote from DJ Psychomike “I will take out a whip and force you out of heaven”

With that attitude you won’t be making it there to see anyone. If God thinks someone good enough to get into heaven I don’t think he’d take too kindly to you whipping them.

What you say historically speaking is a fair point, terrible things do happen because of religion. I don’t think that makes it okay in the view of their chosen deity. But it’s not your duty to punish them in the afterlife, they have that one covered. Most religions have their own post corporeal system that covers it just fine.

So just focus on living life the best way you can and let God handle the rest.

5. Mini Minx says:

Am not a religious frieeeeek & respect all forms of belief but the HK cross is just wrong… People have a right to dress as they please but this is just not cool…would sanrio make the form of buddha, for example look like buddha??? i dont think so… anyhow its business & at the end of the day thats how they see it…. still i think its disrespectful… thats just me & my opinion…. i prefer the pieces separately, but to be honest after seeing this item of nasty jwlry i think sanrio are a bunch of non believers of anything!!!! not cool!!!

6. Mini Minx says:

oops, -meant to say would sanrio make the form of buddha look like hello kitty- i guess u got that anyhow….

7. christi says:

that is just… TOO MUCH.

that really crosses the line.

no pun intended

lol

8. James Mobius says:

oh dear. I used to live in Japan and one day a housemate came home in December to tell me he saw a Santa on a cross. an understandable error, the Japanese don’t understand the Christian mythology exactly, bearded guy, christmas guy, must be old Jesus, nail him up! this is the same sort of thing, sort of. they certainly had no desire to offend anyone with this product, believe me, it’s just a cultural misunderstanding. Japanese culture is all about saving face, and not offending anyone in any way.

9. crazykitten says:

hmmm…… interesting…….

10. Jeni says:

I’m roman-catholic, i’m Mexican and i’m Irish, two cutures very serious about their religions.
    i don’t find it offending. it doesn’t say on it “HELLO KITTY IS LORD” no, it’s just a cute acessory that both portrays one’s religious dedication and personal likes, it’s a multi-tasking necklace.

11. Gabbi! says:

i think Jesus is not a joke! Hello Kitty is not a religion and! it so bad that sanrio foment this type of jokes Of whom died in the cross of the Calvary for ALL OF US

12. Harold Clark says:

GREAT product ! The image of Hello Kitty crucified & tourtured should have DELIGHTED her detractors & critics as she was forced to pay for the sins of others who took her message that she was a messiah WAY too seriously (Wait a Minute , she DOES sound just like Jesus!!!!)
    As Jim Jones & David Koresh found out, you get too obsessed with your faith, & you loose touch with Reality! At Least with Hello Kitty, her crucifix did not end up on top of a building in Waco, or Guyana…..
    Ijn a way its kind of a GREAT message to Christians to lighten up a bit, smile & not take things so seriously that the end up drinking Kool Aid on the 6 o clock news……..

13. laila says:

In the West, it’s a pretty common sight to see, say, Sikh deities screenprinted onto cheap T-shirts sold at student markets. Why? My guess is because they’re considered colorful, interesting and exotic. Why is it surprising that Christian motifs are seen as equally curious in a country where no more than 1% of the population identify as Christian, and equally desirable in trinket form?

Sure, it could easily be seen as a bit tacky to make Hello Kitty crucifixes. I get that/ On the other hand, I really don’t think covering Ganesha in glitter and sticking him on a tee-shirt is exactly a shining example of cultural sensitivity either, and very few people in the culturally Christian West seem to think that might look a bit tacky to a devout Hindu. Either all of it’s a problem or none of it is: it’s not just an issue when it’s happening to your home team.

14. Sara Lanza says:

I think that most of the world is evil and deceiveful~
    I dont like the Cross, because it is a signo of a curse, neither I like hello kitty those two together engraved in shine material just show me how the evil presents itself as harmless~

15. better u than me says:

I think hello kitty struck a nerve. This is the most comments I’ve seen since the free hello kitty toaster offer.

16. better u than me says:

RE: Scott Covert comment. Good one!

17. The pink “necklace” isn’t a necklace at all. It’s a rosary.

18. Tess says:

You don’t have to be religious to find this distasteful and offensive.

19. Maria says:

I love them all! =(^_^)=

20. Kary Cortazar says:

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS???? I NEED TO KNOW

21. Shakespeare_mara says:

That’s…just…wrong…

DJ Psychomike, I’m a Christian and I happen to believe strongly in DNA and things like that. Einstein said, “The more I study science, the more I believe in God.” This last week, scientists cured a deadly brain disease by using a deactivated HIV virus to graft healthy genes onto existing DNA sequences. I refuse to not sit in awe and wonder at that.

22. Min says:

The rosary makes me feel a bit ill. :-/

23. Asato Fuyutsuki says:

I’m a practicing Catholic, with 12 years of Catholic school and a couple years of Catholic college (major in theology), but I don’t find this blasphemous or really disturbing. Tacky, yes; blasphemous, no.

Bear in mind that Japan is a non-Christian nation, with Christians forming only about 1% of the population, plus, the non-Christians there have had a long history appropriating imagery from other religions because it looks nice. The Jesuits missionaries from Portugal and Spain wrote back to their superiors about people carrying/wearing rosaries and crucifixes even though they weren’t Christian or even interested in learning about Christianity or becoming Christian. Think about the odd use of Christian imagery and concepts from Kabbalah which all over the place in “Neon Genesis Evangelion” one of the creators of which admitted that they used it because it “looked good”. Or the wonky but lovingly portrayed version of the Catholic Church in “Trinity Blood”: there really *was* a fourteen year old Pope back in the 400s or somesuch, but I doubt the Church is going to give Holy Orders to androids, or elect nuns to serve as bishops, though in a post-apocalyptic world, a brave nun very well might step in to do as much as she can to keep the Christians together and help keep simple religious ceremonies going, which actually happened in Japan in the 1600s, when the Tokugawa regime forced all the Europeans out of the country, including dozens of priests. One of the oddest religious references I’ve seen in anime so far happens in “Yami no Matsuei” aka “Descendants of Darkness”, where the main villain talks about 17th century statues of Buddha which had crucifixes carved on the back, so that Christians in Japan could veil their faith during times when people were being arrested for refusing to give up Christianity.

24. acton says:

Asato Fuyutsuki: You did a better job than I could.
    I wonder were you at the Religion and Anime Panel at Kumoricon. A lot of the same information came out.

25. Asato Fuyutsuki says:

@ Acton: :: Bows:: I’ve yet to attend an anime con ever, but I plan to the next time I can find one close by me.

26. Shakespeare_mara says:

@ Asato Fuyutsuki, tacky, that’s a better description. I think that’s the word I was looking for. Thank you.

27. amy says:

awww thats cute as a button lol i want one

28. Lyndsey says:

I’m a strong mormon and firmly believe that Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins, but I think it’s kinda funny. Tacky and horrible, but kinda unny.

29. maricate says:

if you think this is funny than think not. i mean i love hello kitty and stuff but that is just disrespectful to say things like “jesus didnt die for our sins hello kitty did”. thats just rude jesus died for our sins not HELLO KITTY!!!!!

30. Gen says:

oh, heck no. That’s stepping over the line, Sanrio. Its depressing to see what the world has come to. Forgive them god, for they know not what they are doing…

31. Vick says:

It’s not blasphemous; it’s capitalistic. I’ve seen much worse in Christian bookstores. The kind of crap that’s marketed to mainstream Christian culture is pretty sickening. Aside from all that, I’d probably get one if I was a girl.

32. Rhiannon says:

I MADE THE PINK HELLO KITTY NECKLACE!

Oh my… Get over it. LOL

33. Veronica says:

oh god. if you dont like it dont get it. i think its really cute. if you believe its wrong, then dont look at it or get it. everyone has theyre own outlook on things

34. sasha says:

okk. ilike hello kitty . but this is RIDICULOUS! and WRONG !

35. paula says:

omg i am a great hello kity fan can you tell me where can you bay that necklace with the cross from i love it

36. !lala says:

that picture is very bad ….you made hello kitty as your god…..

37. Rhiannon says:

you all make me laugh.

38. tavona says:

hey dang that’s fire that so cool i wish i had all those hello kitty things i would rock them every day no lie i love hello kitty to death that’s all i ever ask for is hello kitty i have her all over my school folder even thou im not supposed to

39. Mia says:

Its not made to be a joke it made the same reason why any other plain cross is made to show your love for jesus just with your favorite character on it to add some fashion