Vibrator Reborn

Oh, the irony. For anyone who thought that Hello Kitty wasn’t first and foremost out to make a buck, the following newly released item should put that to rest. Many of you know that there was a Hello Kitty vibrator that was made about 10 years back, but had been discontinued. Most people are aware of the history of the shoulder massagers, but in case you aren’t, here are the basics:

Hello Kitty vibrator pink

It all started back in 1997 when Sanrio gave a license to Genyo Co. to make a number of different Hello Kitty products. They produced all different types of products and one that was approved was a Hello Kitty shoulder massager. This was sent out to gift shops, restaurant chains, and other knick-knack stores and was truly sold as a shoulder massager around Japan initially.

It wasn’t long, however, that some people decided to use the shoulder massagers to massage other areas besides their shoulders. The Hello Kitty shoulder massagers that were being sold at the store down the street began to show up in adult movies. Soon they were also being sold in adult video shops and the sales of the product skyrocketed. Eventually it made its way online to be sold internationally as a “must have” sex toy.

When Sanrio found out that the shoulder massager was being sold as a sex toy, they claimed to be disgusted, especially since the Sanrio name and Hello Kitty character were on it. They immediately contacted Genyo Co. and asked them to stop. The Hello Kitty vibrator had at this point gained cult status and was selling like hotcakes and Genyo Co. had no intention of letting a hugely profitable product be taken off the shelf just because people were using it to stimulate other parts than intended. Sanrio tried to revoke Genyo’s licensing rights, but Genyo refused saying they had a valid license that had been approved and had spent much money developing the product.

The fight between the two companies continued until Genyo Co.’s top officials found themselves in tax trouble for some shady business dealings they were involved with. This gave Sanrio the reason they needed to revoke the license and Sanrio took the “shoulder massagers” off the market. The shoulder massagers that were still in outlets were soon bought up and sold as collector items sometimes reaching over $100 on eBay.

Since Sanrio was supposedly so disgusted and enraged by this “shoulder massager,” you can imagine my surprise when I received an email letting me know that they have revived it – selling it for just over $10 (1260 yen) in the Sanrio Japanese online store:

Hello Kitty vibrator should massager

Oh, but it gets even better. Not satisfied to come out with only the same thing they had in the past, it now is also available in black:

Hello Kitty vibrator black

This development of the “shoulder massager” being sold again is especially disturbing to all those that live in Hello Kitty Hell. At the end of the day, that is the last place you want to see Hello Kitty no matter how much pleasure the Hello Kitty fanatic claims that Hello Kitty brings. If this is the type of news the holiday season is going to be bringing me, it’s definitely going to be the most Hello Kitty Hellish one ever…

Thanks to Noa who really should be given some unspeakable torture treatment for even having the thought that letting my wife know these existed was a good idea…

Update: It appears they are available in red and lavender as well:

Hello Kitty vibrator set

This entry was posted in Gadgets, Sex, Strange and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

148 Responses to Vibrator Reborn

1. Alethea says:

This story reminds me of the bemusement I felt at being invited (with my family) to a conference at EuroDisneyland near Paris a few years ago, and receiving as a freebie in the kids pack a “shoulder massager”. It’s quite large, with a hinge in the middle to reach over the shoulder. It vibrates when the hinge is opened and the arm extended.

It represents a long red sleeve with a white Mickey glove on a four-fingered hand, with the fat index finger pointing.

I swear! And my young children were running around trying to goose people’s backs…

At the time I thought it was of dubious taste to get rid of overstocked items in the Disney store such as these by giving them to folks under the age of 10. Now I just think that I have a dirty mind.

2. Dad of 2 says:

I bought two of these last year for my daughters who are 8 and 10, because they are big fans of the Hello Kitty stuff. They really like their massager but they keep coming to me asking for more batteries as they don’t seem to last very long. Does anyone else have this problem?

3. hello kitty is so cute
    but this is suck and freak,
    anyway
    pece and loe!!
    bye…bye…..

4. HKitty says:

It was meant for the shoulders, sick minded people were using it for other things.

5. chefs_kitty says:

Oh please! I know what a shoulder massager looks like…and it isn’t 5 inches tall with just a little decorative kitty on the top! How naive do you really have to be??

And why are people who are using it in other ways “sick-minded”? Are you saying that what people do in the privacy of their own home is “sick”??

6. soNOTintoHELLOpussy says:

i can remeber the first time I read about a HK vibrator. I was perplexed. How could anyone…ANYONE… possibly be excited by the blank pink and white face of HK?? let alone have the guts to play about with a pink and white HK vibrator.. You seriously have to be sick to do this to yourself. What has your vagina done to you to deserve this? At this day and age, you could use just about anything…carrots, cucumbers, TV remote controls, deodorant bottles, just about anything if you’re flexible enough…..but Hello kitty? the thought is enough to put any sane person off sex for the rest of their lives.

7. Sandi says:

Now, getting horney with Hello Kitty. NOW, THAT IS A NIGHTMARE!

8. chefs_kitty says:

Geez, some people are just way too conservative. Who cares if it’s HK on the top of that thing?? I’d like to stress that HK USED to be made exclusively for kids. With the proliferation of products aimed at adults (probably all of which can be found on this site), I can’t see why anyone would be overly offended by a HK “massager”. I could totally understand if, say, a Winnie The Pooh massager came onto the market, but c’mon! Maybe some people are in desperate need of a “massager”. Maybe then they wouldn’t be so uptight.

9. amanda says:

wowo thats hott i want one lol

10. Pingback: Hello Kitty Aki Hoshino - Hello Kitty Hell

11. Dazee says:

This massager is not for internal use- it is not a dildo, or a vibrating dildo. It is for external stimulation and is modeled CLEARLY on a product called the Pocket Rocket, a small battery operated EXTERNAL vibrator. It is hard plastic. Do not insert it in any orifaces…

12. Camille says:

that pussy cat can tickle mine anytimee
    :]

13. Danielle French says:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14. Pingback: Hello Kitty Vibrator - Hello Kitty Hell

15. cenovis says:

@ Dazee

…The pocket rocket? Oh please! People certainly weren’t using those for “shoulder massage” either. I’ve seen the ads, and just look at the name: POCKET ROCKET. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what they’re implying. By the way, they still sell those things in those weird little novelty magazines they send out to elderly people. They’re marketed as “personal massagers.”

16. berryblitz says:

It doesn’t look like a shoulder massanger. It really looks like a vibrator to me. I think shoulder massangers are not shaped like that one, lol.

Anyway, I’m writing about this hello kitty hell blog on my blog.

17. Who is Darlene says:

maby darlene is right you guys just cant see that the world is iventing some thing new all the time. yes im a boy! so what! the boys like stuf and the girls like stuf! GET A LIFE!!!

18. Who is Darlene says:

dear darlene,
    if you dont like HKH i think that you should not read it i mean if you keep righting here thay will just hate you more of and about my last coment when i said GET A LIFE was talking to them of course

19. Ein says:

I love this blog. Even though I am a huge hello kitty fan.

Gotta have a sence of humor. The people that are hello kitty fans that are bashing this blog….Just get over it. xD Seriously.

I don’t know if this blog is intended for humor, but it gives me a good laugh every now and then.

I want a hello kitty vibrator. xD I have that Hello kitty toaster as well, and as surprised to find that the toast it makes is inadiquite.

I also have a Hello kitty waffle iron. :D

20. Kris says:

I’d like to point something out that hasn’t really been brought up here yet. In Japan, for AGES, it has been illegal to produce and market sex toys that look like actual human anatomy. Thus, all of the pretty ‘rabbits’ and ‘beavers’ with strategically placed ears or flippers or paws. Ahem. I personally believe that Sanrio knew just what the heck those were going to be used for, marketed that way or not, and ok’d it but realized once it caught on and started selling that if they expressed ‘disgust’ and pulled the item, they could then reintroduce it, cutting out the middle man, raking in the profits, and marketing it to fans who obviously had a consumer interest in the product. Then again, that’s just my theory. But I think it’s a pretty good one. :>)

Also, for those who are uncomfortable with “kitty-to-kitty” stimulation and claim it is using a prepubescent icon in an unnatural way, you OBVIOUSLY have not seen “Rub My Ducky” waterproof vibes. Look ‘em up.

(Just don’t buy them- they aren’t actually waterproof and tend to let water into the battery compartment. Did I just say that out loud?)

21. ana says:

im love hello kitti

22. Kimchi says:

HAHAHA! Kris, your post cracks me up! I am in total agreement with you. I think Sanrio did know what they were doing and it has worked. As for the “Rub My Ducky”, I will have to look into that…

The people getting all bent out of shape over the use of a formerly child-exclusive character being used as a personal massager need to get one. I think maybe getting their rocks off would help them let-up a little bit. Sheesh.

23. bob says:

that’s just scary.

24. leftie says:

In the spirt of “spreading happiness” I’m overjoyed that HK is concerned in orgasmic pleasure…..wheres the matching pink dildo

25. rick says:

That massager looks like it would get rid of some stress.

26. meimei says:

Oh geez. I thought Darlene was joking.
    …Wasn’t she? No? Holy crap. Yeah. Well, I hold no real animosity towards Hello Kitty, but Sanrio products can get a little annoying sometimes. Especially when your best friend is completely OB-SESSED with them. But they are kinda cute, as long as they’re not everywhere, all the time. I guess.

27. sebie says:

hot

xoxoxoxoxo sebie

28. janykitty says:

my only question is….
    is it a good vibrator?
    lol.
    who recommends?

29. Awesome in a box says:

wow hellokitty gone wild!
    This is so surprising that HK would make this

30. sierra says:

this is a little gross i have to admit. bad sanrio… bad sanrio…

31. Liz S. says:

Um, Darlene? Few facts for ya. 1) It’s not his fault or HK’s that people decided to use them to stimulate themselves. 2) I think he’s perfectly aware that “Hello Kitty” doesn’t want people to use the vibrator as such, and is surprised that Sanrio brough it up. And 3) I, for one, love this site. I check almost every single day for a new article of what Sanrio has brought out NEXT.

32. Plushie says:

I have a pink massager & the vibrating part is on hello kitty’s head. So people wouldn’t have much fun using it even if they liked to. SOWWY.

33. amy bunny says:

hk, pure? my tight little a**… if they were pure why do they make thongs? huh… answer me that. :p. anyways… i have all 4 colors for the massagers. so ha! what now? tbh idk… i like toys

34. D says:

LMAO!!!!!! and plushie…. you are SOOOOOOOO wrong …. this blog is freakin hilarious!!! I love it, and you poor man with all the hello kitty crap around you.

I’m female and i HATE hello kitty, ALWAYS have!!! It is sooo dumb, and pink, and girlie… ick!!!

I don’t think vibrator wise it would be worth the cash unless it really WOWS you…. id rather spend my cash on a sex toy with some power, and movement. Maybe this is a starter toy. LMAO!!!!!!

35. Satan wears pink says:

Darlene, are you morman?????????????? These are the naughty vibes dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. MaiAnh says:

Now I will be honest.
    I am an HK fanatic.
    But I can see how you think it’s horrid.
    This is a great blog and I think it’s rather funny.
    I also find some HelloKitty things useless but I would love to have them but I have bills to pay.
    I have this shoulder massager.
    I think Darlene needs to suck it and stick one of these up her A$$ because to be honest it’s your blog and you need a way to vent.
    The negative comments aren’t needed.
    Especially from someone so close minded.

37. Peach says:

Yeah, thanks to Darlene for helping me show my boyfriend how very much worse it could be…

38. Pingback: Hello little kitty! « RosenRed

39. Domin88u2 says:

I am slightly confused. Isn’t the girl in the ad holding it upside-down? I know when I am massaging my uh..shoulders I hold the other end down.

40. STACInotSCENE says:

That model is seriously getting way too much pleasure from that vibrator on her shoulder. I think she has 2 secretly O_O
    idk but i want one its like the most perfect vibrator out there, id so buy it in black or purple.

41. girl says:

i’m going to ask my boyfriend for one.
    he’s just starting to tolerate my hello kitty fetish.

42. Binky says:

Oh god, are they still pretending its a shoulder massager?
    Do they sell it with KY brand ‘shoulder lubricant’?

43. Micah says:

Darlene, shut the hell up.

If YOU are so tired of this blog then YOU can piss off.

44. Ichigo says:

DARLENE. . . . I use it to frig myself off coz that is what it’s for and medically it’s not a great massager! maybe you should have an orgasm then you would be happier in your life and find this whole blog actually hilarious! I mean I love HK lots but this funny, so get a sense of humour and for gods sakes!!!

45. HELLLOOOO KITTY says:

I have been a fan of Hello Kitty since the 70′s. Yes, that makes me an OLDER hello kitty fan. I have a Hello Kitty Tattoo, in the only fitting place for a Hello Kitty Tattoo to be, holding a confectionary heart that says “EAT ME”. A Hello Kitty Vibrator would make the PERFECT match. Now I just need to get that Baby Jesus Butt Plug, and I’m all set… ; ) LOVE you Sanrio!!

46. Miss Lectrix says:

I love Hello Kitty but this blog is hilarious! The last place I would want Hello Kitty is down there; it would feel creepy. I do feel bad for you, at least I don’t want everything in Hello Kitty :p

47. cuty says:

I can´t believe that s.o. can use that crap. that looks like a cute toy for kids in that way ..I mean I wouldn´t and I couldn´t use that…

48. Treason says:

yeah, its SO a back massager, and HK is SO only for kids, thats OBVIOUSLY why they have thongs, bras, and other sexy undergarments…

49. Gail says:

“Shoulder Massager”…yeah…right.

50. i hav too say that your desgusting for defaysing the hallowed imaj of Hello Kitty in sucha disgusting way sanrio woud never betray Hello Kittys innocents like that buy marketing a product such a terible way hello kitty is my god and i want to marry hello kitty i named my kitty hello kitty every time i say hello to my kitty i also say her name lolz…

Seriously, this blog is great, thanks for sharing. I’ve been trying to find more info on the ‘personal massager’ (the pun is too good to ignore) for ages, thanks for letting the rest of us adults with an actual sense of irony in on the pink-n-cutesy action. When I’m trawling ebay for one of these babies I’ll try to find a sense of humor for Darlene as well…